My 23rd birthday is creeping up in a little bit (and has been celebrated for a couple hours in the rest of the world) and I gotta say that my 22nd year of life was magical, challenging and beautiful. Here’s a sum-up of things that life at 22 taught me, in no particular order:
1. Sleep is vital! I mean, I knew that but actually sleeping 7-8 hours each night these days gives me such a much more productive day.
2. There is no “right path” in life. You will think you have found the right way of life or the final life goals for yourself, only to be proven otherwise a couple months down the road. You might think you know what the next years of your life are going to look like, you might feel old enough to make long-term plans but one day you might wake up and your whole world is upside down.
3. If your whole world is turned upside down, you will survive. You are young and will get over it.
4. Cooking is fun! I was a disaster in the kitchen last year around this time and considered Rice A Roni a legit dinner
(hey, it’s warm and it requires mixing several ingrediences together!). Now, I wake up on Saturdays, feel like baking and end up with four dozen Rasberry White Chocolate Scones. True story.
5. Travel. As far and as often as you possibly can.
6. When in doubt, invest into an experience rather than into an object.
7. It can still be official, even if Facebook doesn’t say so.
8. It’s ok to say No.
9. It’s ok to be antisocial and stay inside for four weekends in the row, binge on Netflix and Thai food and just enjoy your couch, your favorite sweatpants and GilmoreGirls.
10. Fake it till you make it. As a 22-year-old, people will start treating you like the grown eeryone seems to see in you even if you still feel like your 16-year-old self sometimes. It’s both kinda cool and pretty scary and will sometimes require you to own up to your actual age.
11. That being said though, don’t loose your inner child!
12. It feels good to start paying back student loans. Just eight more years to go, wohooo!
13. Build and/or maintain a strong support system. Family and friends are insanely important.
14. Be with yourself every once in a while. Checking in on yourself regularly is extremely helpful, in my humble opinion.
15. Invest into good shoes. I love me ma heels and boots but I feel most comfortable in my new Nike running shoes (my feet have written an Odé to them, I swear!)
16. Forever 21 is cute and super awesome for a student’s budget. But really, after wearing the same dress three times, it will have completely lost its shape and just look kinda.. meh. It’s worth paying a little more for a bit more quality.
17. Don’t shy away from love. Ever.
18. You kinda stop caring about other people’s opinion. I mean, I’m still very sensitive to what others think of me but not being friends with the mean girls is not killing me anymore. If they don’t wanna be friends, their loss!
19. There will be many doors opening for you. Do keep as many of them as widely open as possible.
20. Applying to jobs sucks, has always sucked and will always suck but if you do it halfheartedly, it won’t get you anywhere.
21. Being ambitious does not equal being greedy. You can long for more in your life, while still being appreciative of what you have.
22. If you have a dream, freaking make it happen! There is no one to tell you what you can or can’t do or should and shouldn’t do. This is YOUR life, YOUR rules, YOUR action plan and the sooner you realize that, the quicker you can get on that bucket list of yours!